So you’ve met the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. You’re reasonably certain they want to spend the rest of their life with you too. Or perhaps you’re not, and this is going to be the biggest gamble of your life. Either way, you might as well make it memorable. Here are our seven favourite ways to do so:
1. Propose in the place where you first met. This one is a good safe bet.
2. Romantic dinner. If you never cook this is sure to impress. Watch those knives – being rushed to the hospital might spoil that special moment.
3. Reverse the roles. We’ve met several girls who proposed to their chaps. It’s the 21st century folks.
4. Include the pets. Been seeing some four-footed ring-bearers at wedding ceremonies lately (and consequently going into cuteness-overload), but if you’re both animal lovers what better way to propose than with the help of your fur (or feather, or scaly) kids? Hint: don’t hide the ring in food.
5. Hire a musician. We’ve done quite a few marriage proposals now and nobody has said no yet! Typically we’re asked to pretend to be a street musician and play a request or two. Love the moment when she suddenly clicks and realises what’s going on.
6. Scavenger hunt. If you like an elaborate, crazy scheme this might be the option for you. Plant a series of boxes with clues inside around your home or neighbourhood. Each clue leads to the next box. You can probably guess what’s in the final box.
7. While on holiday. Great way to cap off a romantic trip. Many of our clients are foreigners who are holidaying in Melbourne when they propose.
1. Is your partner an introvert or an extrovert? (If you don’t know by now why the hell are you proposing?) If your partner is shy propose in a place where they are comfortable and you can be alone, like your home.
2. Don’t forget the flowers!
3. Do something unique and meaningful to your relationship. Involve one of your mutual interests.
4. Make it a complete surprise. It will make that moment all the more memorable.
5. Keep it simple.